Suzuki Teacher Development Program, June 24 – July 2, 2017
- Every Child Can!© June 24
- Cello Unit 2 June 26 – 30
- Violin Unit 1 June 25 – July 2
- Violin Units 3 & 5 June 26 – 30
- Enrichment Course June 26 – 29
Teachers attend the Institute to refresh, re-inspire and expand their teaching skills and to learn about the Suzuki approach. Teacher Development Courses are conducted by Teacher Trainers registered with the Suzuki Association of the Americas (SAA).
Individuals participating in the Teacher Development Program must be at least 17 years of age, have a high school diploma and be an active member of the SAA. Individuals may enroll as a:
- Participant. To qualify as a participant, an individual must pass an audition submitted to the SAA. Participants who successfully complete a course will have their training registered with the SAA, which may accumulate toward an SAA Certificate of Acheivement.
- Auditor. Audition is not required. Auditors may sit in on a Teacher Development Course but without participation or credit.
- Observers may observe student activities and classes, but are not eligible to attend teacher classes.
Teacher Development Course seminar hours will include philosophy, pedagogy of the Suzuki approach and the musical, physical and social development of students. The core courses correspond in name to the number Suzuki Repertory books:
- Violin Book 1 is a 28-hour course plus 15 hours of student lesson observation.
- Cello Book 2, Violin Book 3 and 5 courses are 15-hour courses plus 8 hours of student lesson observation.
Teachers may enroll in only one Book course at a time. Fees for the teacher development courses include the GWSI registration fee.
Books 1, 2 and 3 courses must be taken in order. Note: the Foundation Course Every Child Can!©, is a pre-requisite for teachers taking the Book 1 Course.
- The Foundation Course: Every Child Can!© is open to parents, teachers, prospective teachers and anyone interested. There is no pre-requisite and no instrument required. This is a 6 hour introduction to Dr. Suzuki’s philosophy and its application to Suzuki education. It provides an inspiring, in-depth look at the Suzuki approach to teaching and learning.
- Enrichment courses support the development of teachers and education of parents. This year we offer an enrichment course by Edmund Sprunger
Teaching from the Inside Out:
Understanding the Inner World of the Developing Child
This course will look at the interplay between a growing child’s physical skills, cognitive capacities, and ability to regulate emotions. A specific focus of this course will be the way in which children depend on their relationships with parents and teachers to develop these skills.
The goal of this course is to be able to use this knowledge of the developing child to help children and parents make full use of the information we teachers have to offer them.
This 10-hour enrichment course may be registered with the SAA.
After registering for a Teacher Development Course, participants must submit a DVD audition to the SAA. After May 1st, participants will be required to submit an express audition application and will need to pay a $50 late fee. The SAA will not accept auditions received after June 15.
To complete the audition process, participants should visit the SAA website (www.suzukiassociation.org) and for the video audition application form and instructions or call SAA toll free at 1-888-378-9854.
All Teacher Development Course participants are asked to prepare the repertoire in the book to be studied to the point of fluent performance. Memorization is not required, but is recommended. Participants should be conversant with the ideas presented in Dr. Suzuki’s book, Nurture by Love. GWSI recommends further reading of Edmund Sprunger’s Teaching Parents to Practice.
Teachers should bring instruments to play in class, music and note taking materials. 100% attendance is required to register training.
The GWSI will be held at Bishop O’Connell High School, 6600 Little Falls Rd, Arlington, VA 22213.
Foundation Course: Every Child Can!©
June 24, Saturday, 9:30 AM – 12 PM AND 2 – 5 PM
Teacher Development Violin Book 1
June 25, Sunday, 8 AM – 12 PM AND 1 – 5 PM
June 26-30, 8:15 AM – 3 PM
July 1, 9 AM – 12 PM AND 1 – 4 PM
July 2, 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM
All Students/Families Check-In and
Teachers in Violin Courses Book 3 & 5, Cello Book 2 Check-in
June 26, Sunday, 2 PM – 5 PM
Teacher Development Violin Book 3 and Book 5, Cello Book 2
June 26-30, Monday – Friday, 8:15 AM – 2:45 PM
Teacher/Parent Enrichment Course:
Teaching from the Inside Out: Understanding the Inner World of the Developing Child
June 26-29, Monday – Thursday, 4 PM – 6:30 PM
All Student Classes
June 26-30, Monday – Friday, 8:15AM-2:45PM
Daily Parent Lectures, 1:45PM
Daily Recitals, 3:00PM
Evening Student Recitals, 6:00PM Thursday
Final Concert, 6:00PM Friday
Children will receive their individual schedules via email the week prior to Institute.
Families should be prepared to pack their own lunches daily. There are also various local restaurants that provide take-out and delivery service.
Foxes Music Co. and Potter Violin Co. will be at the institute to provide services and supplies.
There is newly arranged parking at the school. Parking is free.
The Suzuki Institute will be reserving a block of rooms at the Governor House Inn in Falls Church, 1.4 miles from the Institute. 6650 Arlington Boulevard, Falls Church, VA 22042. Transportation is available by Metro Rail and Arlington Bus Transit. Free internet, hot breakfast, shuttle service to East Falls Church Metro, and parking. Rooms are air-conditioned.
Room rates are:
Double room with 2 double beds……………….. $89 + tax
When making reservations by phone, please mention rooms reserved under the name of Greater Washington Suzuki Institute to enjoy the reduced rate. It is possible for singles to share rooms. Roommate contact information will be sent if one is available. Reserve early and directly with the Governor House Inn by May 26. Rooms will be released after this date.
6650 Arlington Boulevard
Falls Church, VA 22042
Tel: (703) 532-8900
Late Registration Fee
Register After June 1: $50 Late Fee/Person
The Registration Fee is nonrefundable. All other fees are refundable, when written notice is postmarked before June 1. If postmarked on or after June 1, no refunds will be made.
For further information, please contact:
GWSI Business Director, Chris Sanchez
Email: email@example.com (email preferred)
Telephone: 301-758-8710 Fax: 1-410-774-4661